Friday, February 15, 2008

Italian Food, Ice Hockey, and Interesting Thoughts

Good Friday morning to each and all! I hope each of you had a wonderful Valentine’s Day. Here are a few thoughts for the long weekend.

I was lucky enough to take in two dinners this week at two of the finest restaurants that Boston’s North End has to offer. Tuesday night before I went to the Bruin’s game I went to La Brace at 76 Salem St. I had found out about La Brace through Restaurant.com where you can actually purchase discounted $25 gift certificates for hundreds of restaurants nation wide. Looking at the menu, I wasn’t exactly sure what to order but after asking the hostess and owner, Gail, she put my thoughts to rest. Gail had her chef whip up what she referred to as “chicken alla Scotty.” It was a sort of chicken with ziti that was in a delicious garlic, cream, sauce. My friend, Pat, ordered the gnocchi Bolognese and that was also delicious. I’d highly recommend La Brace and give it a 4/5 rating.

Pat and I then headed over to the TD Banknorth Garden for the Bruins game against the Carolina Hurricanes. The game came down to a very exciting finish that saw the Bruins score two late goals off the stick of Sean Thornton to fall just short of the Hurricanes 3-2. I hadn’t been to a Bruins game in several years so it was exciting to make it to the Garden to see them. And it was even more exciting when we were able to sneak down from the balcony to the loge and be virtually right on top of the ice for the final period.

We then left the Garden to a very snowy Boston and headed over to the Hard Rock Café for a couple of drinks. The Hard Rock was virtually empty as a result of the weather and it being a Tuesday night but the bartender still served up a mighty mudslide. The Hard Rock’s new Fanual Hall location makes it a great place to stop by for a drink while shopping or passing through to the common or North End.

Last night, I had the big Valentine’s Dinner at 5 North Square which has the same address as its name. We arrived a bit early at 5:30 and beat the dinner crowd. We were whisked away to their famous “Table #30” which was really nice and is set aside in a small nook right in front of a window that overlooks the North End streets. I ordered the cavatelli positano which consisted of ziti in a four cheese marinara sauce with basil. You throw in a bit of chicken and this was the best meal I’ve had so far in 2008. Lauren had the capallini alla romano which was an angel hair pasta with sun dried tomatoes, basil, and olive oil. The service at 5 North Square was great and I’d give it my highest mark of 5/5.

I can’t emphasize enough how great of a resource Restaurant.com is. 5 North Square was also on Restaurant.com and with their certificates you can often enjoy a meal for two including the tip for under $25.

Lauren and I then headed over to the Boston Center for the Arts on Tremont St to take in their production of “The Little Dog Laughed.” The play’s plot which centered on a closeted homosexual actor and his struggle to come out while remain unaffected in his career. The play was very funny; however, the acting was not entirely convincing. I’d give the show a passing grade of 3/5.

This afternoon my friend, Mairead, and I are heading down to New York on Amtrak. We’ll be heading down tonight to see our friend Greg Johnson perform his comedy show. I’ll also be meeting up with my Jesuit Volunteer Corps roommates Sarah and Ben and the four of us will be heading to the Conan O’Brien taping this Monday. Guest scheduled to attend the taping are comedian Larry “The Cable Guy” and Project Runway fashion expert, Tim Gunn. I’m very excited about the weekend and I’ll be sure to have a full report when I return.

For now take care and I hope each and every one of you has a splendid President’s Day weekend!

No comments: