Wednesday, April 9, 2008

Paradise: Take 2

When I was little most nights between April and September were spent listening to Red Sox broadcasts on the radio. I probably spent more time during those years with Red Sox announcers Joe Castiglione and Jerry Trupiano than I did with most of my family and friends.

The dream then was always of winning a World Series. For a young boy it always seemed possible. Although try as I may I could never envision what a World Series celebration would look like. What it would feel like. How it would unfold.

Although yesterday’s Opening Day World Series Ring Ceremony was in fact the team’s second such celebration in four years, it was the first I was able to experience live and it was thus far the highlight of a lifetime of going to sporting events. And finally I was able to experience first hand the proper World Series celebration I had been dreaming about for most of my life.

Surely over the past four years there have been rolling rallies, playoff sendoffs, and playoff games, but to me any true Red Sox celebration must and should take place in the most storied ballpark in baseball.

From the first note of the Boston Pops, straight through the unveiling of the new championship banner, and right on through Bill Buckner’s first pitch it was pure and unadulterated heaven for Boston baseball fans. For those lucky enough to attend either the 2004 or 2007 championship celebrations—cherish each and every moment of those memories. For Boston fans lucky enough to be around in 2008 we are truly realizing every dream we could have ever wished for.

No comments: