Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Food for Thought: Part I

I have always marveled at the power of quotes. Quotes have always had the ability to help me to either open my thinking into a new way of looking at the situation or conversely sharpen previously held beliefs with a new perspective.

With this in mind, I launch the first in an occasional series of quotes that will follow with questions that relate to the 2008 election and beyond.

”My illness helped me to see that what was missing in society is what was missing in me: a little heart, a lot of brotherhood. The ’80’s were about acquiring — acquiring wealth, power, prestige. I know. I acquired more wealth, power, and prestige than most. But you can acquire all you want and still feel empty. What power wouldn’t I trade for a little more time with my family? What price wouldn’t I pay for an evening with friends? It took a deadly illness to put me eye to eye with that truth, but it is a truth that the country, caught up in its ruthless ambitions and moral decay, can learn on my dime. I don’t know who will lead us through the ’90s, but they must be made to speak to this spiritual vacuum at the heart of American society, this tumor of the soul.” Lee Atwater, 1991.



Today brings with it the “first in the nation” New Hampshire primary that is likely to have the single greatest impact that any event has had yet so far in the 2008 election cycle. And while it is unlikely that anyone reading this will have the opportunity to vote in New Hampshire nor the time to campaign for a candidate before the polls close tonight, we will each have the opportunity to make our mark in this election before it is all said and done.

Each generation brings with it unique challenges and opportunities that will require genuine leadership in order to face the former and make the most of the latter. While this is neither the time nor place for a specific endorsement, it is always timely for each of us to give thought to what exactly we hope to find in our next president.

I propose to each of you as a frame for such thought the above quote by former Republican and Reagan and Bush era strategist, Lee Atwater. Atwater who nearing death converted to Catholicism gave this quote from his deathbed. Atwater’s main assertion in the quote is that as the 1990’s began there was a “spiritual vacuum” in America.

Whether you agree with Atwater’s assertion or not, two questions can be used by any of us in relation to this quote to magnify who exactly we feel will bring the most to the position of commander and chief. Atwater asserts that the 1980’s were about “acquiring” and the 1990’s were about curing America’s “spiritual vacuum.” Before you decide which candidate you will vote for, I recommend you define exactly what it is that you believe our nation faces as its greatest problem in 2008. Once you have determined that singular problem then decide which candidate you feel is best to address this.

I extend to you the further question of which candidate may have the ability to envision the problem before it happens instead of Atwater’s late realization. And which candidate’s experience makes them best positioned to not only envision this problem but communicate it to the public and execute its solution.

It is my hope and also my opinion that the completion of these exercises will go a long way in making your decision in 2008.

No comments: